Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Raineedayze Reads: Leah on the Offbeat


I've spent most of this summer so far with a good book by the pool, so it was only natural that as soon as I picked up Leah on the Offbeat, I would be rushing to read it. I loved Becky Albertalli's previous books in this universe, and so I couldn't wait to immerse myself in her new book.






 
This book follows Leah, the (in my opinion), badass underrated character featured in Simon Vs. The Homosapien Agenda. First things first, Leah is a bisexual ICON. She is adorable and tough as nails, and her musings about Harry Potter, fanfic, and Tumblr were music to my very nerdy ears. 

As with all the books in this universe, there are a ton of references to fandoms, ships, and general geeky goodness.

The gang is back, now embarking on the last few months of high school and dealing with prom, dating, college preparations, and taking that scar leap into the unknown. This book was amazing in that regard and something I wish I had read in high school. 

Though I adored Leah, I do have to say her narration was probably the weakest in comparison to the previous books in the series(?). She also had more of angsty feel, very different from Molly and Simon. As a standalone, this book would have been an automatic 5 star read. However, since the book did rely on the other two books a bit more than they relied on each other, I do think it diminished it a little bit. 

The romance in this book was a bit obvious, but very adorable nonetheless, and I seriously loved the really cute moments. As always, there were a few shoutouts from the previous couples, which was always nice to see.

Overall, I gave this book 4/5 stars. It was a very cute read and Becky Albertalli has a way of writing nerdy teenagers and I could read a million books following this group.

In the spirit of it, I also made a playlist for the book! I'm getting a feel for it to see if I want to keep making these for books, so let me know if you enjoy it!

 


Have you read Leah on the Offbeat? Let's chat about it!



Always, Raineedayze

No comments:

Post a Comment