Thursday, October 19, 2017

Healthy Gaming Habits


Recently, while running errands, I noticed that I was breathing harder than usual from short walks up stairs or down the street. I would also get super exhausted as soon as I got home from class and felt sluggish, if not downright dead, all day.

I decided to take a look at what I was doing differently and boy, was it not good.

As you know, I'm a pretty big gamer and I spend the majority of my free time on the couch with my Xbox or at my computer. With the stress of school, I've been logging more hours online to de-stress. Which is great for my progress in-game, but not so great for my health. 

I decided to fit in a few healthier habits that don't make me hate myself and still allow me to get some game time in. 

Snacks

Let's talk about the essentials first. I love snacking and crave some fuel for a marathon gaming session. However, some of my staples tend to not be the healthiest options....


Here are a few better options!

Pretzels
  Pretzels have an awesome crunchy texture, perfect if you are like me and crave potato chips during those long nights. Also, these don't leave your fingers greasy and will not make your keyboard gross! For some sweetness, get a mini bowl of peanut butter to dip them in.

Raisins/Dried Cranberries
   I found these cute boxes of mixed raisins and cranberries and I have been loving them during games. I like to pack a few of them in my bag with my DS so I can have a snack while gaming on the go. 

Sesame Sticks
    These are Jonathan's favorite snacks and he's gotten me hooked as well. Feels like a pretzel and tastes like a sesame seed. Plus you can buy these in bulk!

Pumpkin seeds/Nuts/Sunflower seeds
    These are delicious but beware. They can leave your fingers a little salty. I usually put some in a cup so I don't have to reach and grab them, but they keep you satisfied by giving the illusion of eating a ton. 

Cucumber and Tomato salad
   I love dicing up some tomatoes and cucumbers, dousing them in lemon juice and sprinkling Tajin on them. I make this in bulk so we can have quick lunch sides and snacks, but these are great for games with long cinematics ( looking at you, Destiny).

Carbonated Water
    I have a habit of only indulging in soda, beer, or scotch during gaming sessions. This doesn't mean that I am going to completely cut out my drinks (especially my scotch), but I have fallen in love with flavored carbonated water. HEB sells an excellent brand of non-sweetened flavored sparkling water in flavors like grapefruit and lime, and I am a huge fan. I've never been a huge sparkling water person, but these are delicious. 

Make Time for FOOD
   I am super guilty of this. I often snack throughout the day and then forget to eat a real meal, so before I know it, I've eaten chips, ramen, spaghettios, and more but have yet to actually eat a real, adult meal. Our parents were right about us spoiling our dinner, so make sure to make them proud by eating something real.

In Game

Stand up and Stretch
   I can spend hours slouched in front of my screen in the most awkward position and won't notice until I'm in pain the next day. Make some time to stretch it out while you play. This isn't too hard for console gamers, as you can just stand up and do basic stretches. For PC gamers, loading screens are your friend. Getting up, if even for a couple of minutes or stretching your legs while you grind can make a huge difference.

Work it while you game
     If you have a handheld or a treadmill, this can be the best tip. I actually found this tip from Brittney over at BlondeNerd.  Walking while you play, whether around your house, outside, or on a treadmill can make all the difference. Just make sure to watch where you are going if you plan to take it outside. 


 Aspire and Perspire
    There are so many great gaming workouts online, whether geared towards gaming marathons (try The Sofa-Bound or Gamer Workout) or inspired by different characters (Minecraft, Skyrim, and Assassins Creed inspired workouts here) that can get you burning a few calories while still geared towards what you love. 
Gaming will always be a huge part of my life and I definitely want to keep playing without sacrificing my health.

What are your best healthy gamer tips? Let's chat or tweet me @raineedayze

Always, Raineedayze


No comments:

Post a Comment