Thursday, March 15, 2018

Raineedayze Reads: Meet Cute Anthology


This month, I finally was able to get my hands on Meet Cute, a romantic anthology filled with stories about YA meet-cute themed tales.


I've been waiting forever to finally read this book, because there were so many awesome authors involved in this book.

Sadly, I was pretty disappointed. (Warning: Mild spoilers)

With anthologies, it's pretty difficult for all the stories to be 5 star reads. That being said, there were so much more hits than misses in this book.

Now, I'm not going to review each story individually, just hit the highs and lows. Let's start off with the hits.

The Unlikely Likelihood of Falling in Love by Jocelyn Davies
Adorable. Most of the stories required a high suspension of disbelief because they were all "love at first site". This story, though unrealistic, was absolute adorableness! Plus, statistics!

The Way We Love Here by Dhonielle Clayton
This story was my absolute favorite, though I have to admit it had a pretty slow start. It was based in a sort of fantasy/sci-fi world but the love story was the most realistic to me. I couldn't say much about the characters in this book, since the authors didn't have a very long time to build them up, but the love was magical. 

259 Million Miles by Kass Morgan
This was a sci-fi based story (are you seeing a pattern?) and I really enjoyed the world around the story. This story didn't have a conventional ending, but I enjoyed the premise. I will say, this love story wasn't the best LOVE story but more of a good short story.

Now, let's go to the....not so great stories.

Say Everything by Huntley Fitzpatrick
One of the main issues with not only this story, but a couple of others, is that I HATE love stories that  are between someone at work and a customer. It creeps me out a bit because when you are working, you are stuck there, forced to be cordial which is often misinterpreted as flirting. Aside from that, the story had too many creepy vibes and at the same time, I had absolutely no idea what the point of this story was.

Print Shop by Nina Lacour
Another story that dealt with meeting at work, this story was also creepy for the main character using a business Twitter account to stalk the love interest. I just didn't vibe with it.

Siege Ettiquette by Katie Cotugno
I love Katie Cotugno but this story made no sense. The main character would randomly get really mean, and then quickly apologize. This story also seemed to do something a lot of the other less than stellar reads did. It seemed like the authors tried to leave a lot of unanswered questions in order to make the reader want to read more of it, therefore convincing the reader that they liked it more than they actually did. 

In all honesty, this book didn't veer too much towards really good or really bad. I rated it a 3/5 stars. It was meh, though I enjoyed the LGBTQ representation in many of the stories.

Have you read this? Let's chat about it!


Always, Raineedayze

No comments:

Post a Comment