Friday, January 18, 2019

My Worst Reads of 2018


We talked about the good...now to talk about the bad. 

And by bad, I mean the WORST reads I read in 2018. Obviously, this is all ~my OPINION~ so if any of these are your faves, more power to ya! These just were not the books for me. (Plus I read tons of trash so you can roast me about that).

So grab your teacups kids, because it's gonna be a doozy.

In no particular order...

10. Things I'm Seeing Without You by Peter Bognanni

  This book...was trash. I'm sorry. The characters were awful and the story was so boring that I was almost gave up on it about 50 different times. I could barely make it through a page without getting tired because absolutely nothing in this book was interesting. Not only that, the things that did occur were so wildly unrealistic that it just made no sense to write about them. Just not a great read.

9. My Sister Rosa by Justine Larbalestier


  I feel like this book was more disappointing than anything else. I went in expecting a creepy thriller a la Gone Girl and instead I'm just given an annoying protagonist, bad parenting, and nothing interesting. The book got better towards the end but it took so long to get there that it couldn't save the story for me.

8. None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio


   Ugh this book...so this book was just really...something. I'm not intersex so I can't really speak for the representation provided in it, but it came off pretty derogatory. The main character, who is intersex, uses a lot of slurs even after being told to like, not. Also this book normalizes not getting a period as being okay because you are an athlete. Which is not accurate and super dangerous. 

7. Scream All Night by Derek Milman


  This book wasn't the worst book I read, but again it was more of a disappointing read than anything. I had been really excited to read this book in October hoping for some spooky story but instead got a lot of angst and oddness. I loved the background cast but the book was just a miss for me.

6. Reality Check by Jen Calonita


   This book did not go through an editor or a proofreader or anything. Besides a really weak plot and 2-dimensional character, so many grammatical errors took over this book and many times there were passages printed twice within two pages, just worded slightly differently. i.e. she walked through the door to the cafe sighing....*three pages later*..Jane walked through the cafe door, sighing to herself. WHAT EVEN??

5. Jay's Journal by Beatrice Sparks


  Okay, okay I do not read Beatrice Sparks' books, ahem I mean ANONYMOUS, books for good writing but more to read some sad after-school special and just enjoy it. Well...this book was actually compiled from a journal and the editor turned this depressed kid into an occult member on drugs. Besides that insanity, the book was just incoherent and had no real timeline. If you want to look more into the scandal behind the real story of Jay's Journal, you can read more here.

4. Lies My Girlfriend Told Me by Julie Anne Peters

   Not gonna lie, I had to look this book up again to remember what it was about. Basically, it follows a girl whose girlfriend dies. After her death, she finds out her girlfriend had been cheating on her with another girl and then more starts to come out about who her girlfriend really was as a person. All the characters were absolutely terrible, and Swanee (yep that's her name) was abusive and manipulative even before the cheating. Plus one of the characters is in a pretty sketchy situation that is just swept under the rug and the story is so ridiculous.

3. Bookishly Ever After by Isabel Bandeira


  I really wanted to like this book. I loved the main character and really connected to her bookish tendencies. However, this book DRAGGED so much. I felt like it was almost over and then realized I was only halfway through it. Which, in a good book, would be great to have more story. But so much of this was filler. The love interest was absolutely terrible and the book had tons of grammar issues as well so it was just not for me.

2. Top Ten by Katie Cotugno


  Katie Cotugno has been kind of a hit or miss (I guess they never miss huh?...sorry...) author for me and I wrote a full review of this book here that you can check out, but in short, this book was just...meh. Nothing great about it, the characters were the absolute worst, and they were always fighting. It had some high points but not a real winner for me. 

And the worst book of 2018...


1. Ship It by Britta Lundin


  Honestly, did you guys not see this one coming? I DESPISED this book which sucked because I was so, so, so hyped for it. I wrote a full review here about it, so I won't rant too much here, but iasudhfaisdhfakljsdfh this book was just a huge NO from me. In the review I said I gave it 2 stars but I had to drop it to one because I am still so salty about this book and it's been months since I read it. So there's that.


Those were my worst reads of 2018. Did I roast any of your faves? What were your worst reads of the year? Let's chat about it!



Always Raineedayze

 

No comments:

Post a Comment