Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Raineedayze Reads: Autoboyography by Christina Lauren


I haven't had many 5 star books  in a while, but Autoboyography definitely deserved it.


Autoboyography follows Tanner, an openly bisexual teenager who, after his move to Mormon-filled Utah, goes back in the closet. However, when he enrolls in a class to write a novel in a semester, he ends up falling for his male TA.....who just happens to be the bishop's son.

This book was amazing. Tanner was a hilarious narrator, and I loved his wit. The Scott family was wonderful and flawed but I adored them. There were also SO many tearjerker moments. I finished this book with a huge lump in my throat but I absolutely adored it.

Sebastian's storyline of dealing with who he is and what he has always known broke my heart, and his automatic shifts to being "fine" just tore me up. I was worried this book would bash religion, but I think it dealt with it in a very real way. It managed to deal with being a good person and religion in way that wasn't mutually exclusive and how you can be a person of faith and question different parts of your beliefs.

This book dealt with so many huge and real issues for teenagers growing in conservative/religious settings. The authors (Christina Lauren is actually duo, Christina Hobbs and Lauren Billings) did a ton of research and featured a list of LGBTQ+ sources at the end of the book. Christina was also a school counselor who saw many children coming in her office dealing with these same issues.

This book was absolutely wonderful, had incredible bi representation, and I cannot recommend it enough. Definitely 5/5 stars.


Have you read this book? Let's chat about it!


 Always, Raineedayze

No comments:

Post a Comment