Monday, March 26, 2018

Raineedayze Reads: Top Ten by Katie Cotugno


Recently, I've been on a pretty good reading kick. I read a whole bunch of books that were all fabulous, so I had pretty high expectations for this one.

Sad to say, it disappointed BIG TIME.

This book is about two best friends, Gabby and Ryan, and their relationship as it flows and changes throughout their high school years. This book was told in a top ten list, with the timelines shifting back and forth through their relationship.

The premise sounded super intriguing and since Spring is here, I was all ready for light and fluffy romance but that was not what I got at all in this book.

The timeline shifted way too much. It also didn't seem to have a reason for the shifting. One chapter focused completely on the resolution of a fight, only to have the next be the beginning of the fight. It was super hard to keep track, and since the characters fought ALL THE TIME, I never knew if they were friends or not in the current timeline.

The characters in this book were super one-dimensional, and I hated both of them. Ryan was pretty cool for a little bit but after awhile, he came off as super stubborn and defensive. Gabby was just bitter for the majority of the book, and I wasn't even really rooting for them to end up together because they both kinda sucked.  

This book had some good moments. It described anxiety attacks very well, and Ryan's enthusiasm for consent was awesome (seriously, YA authors, take note). Unfortunately, these things didn't save the book for me. 

Katie Cotugno's writing is fundamentally awesome, but for some reason, her stories have a way of being forgettable and having characters who are super bland. I enjoyed Fireworks, liked How To Love, and was decently into 99 Days. I won't say I will stop reading her books, but I don't know if I will be putting her much higher on my TBRs. Her plotlines are fantastic, but the execution is just done a little weak. 

Overall, I gave this book 2/5 stars.


Always, Raineedayze
 

No comments:

Post a Comment