Thursday, January 19, 2017

Raineedayze Reads: The Secret History of Wonder Woman


Hello, wonderful readers!

Today, I have a special treat because I'm finally reviewing Jill Lepore's book, "The Secret History of Wonder Woman". 


Guys, this book was gooooood. Even though it took me FOREVER to finish, I'm so glad I did because it was so good!

The book follows the history, not only of Wonder Woman, but of Dr. William Moulton Marston, the "creator" of Wonder Woman. I have "creator" in quotes because, as this book continuously points out, Wonder Woman was not a one-person idea. Lepore manages to trace every bit of history that may have contributed to the development of what of the most beloved and powerful icons in history. Not only does she provide a history of Marston and the women who shaped Wonder Woman's personality and design, she provides insight on the critiques, the movements, and the ideals that provided a platform for Wonder Woman.


This book manages to shed light on the fight for birth control, the suffrage movement, the divide between psychology and fame, and the free love movement, all which contributed to every bit of Wonder Woman's origin. Even her clothes, accessories, phrasing, and individual panels were carefully created to combine all of the events and ideas that Wonder Woman stood for. As an avid Wonder Woman fan, I was riveted by the amount of detail and research Lepore put into this book. 


There are even some fabulous early sketches of Wonder Woman inscribed on the inside of the book, along with pages of Wonder Woman panels throughout the year.

This was not something that can or should be read in a day, or even a week. It is something I had to re-read, flip back, and think about while I read. I believe it is vital for any feminist, fan, and historian. I truly recommend it because this book made me actively look at why I loved the character. When I found out the sheer amount of fighting to make Wonder Woman into the character she is today, I was nearly moved to tears. 


This book made me appreciate Wonder Woman, appreciate the details of others who shape my life, and appreciate how far the feminist movement has come over time. 

Rating: 4.5/5


Always, Raineedayze


No comments:

Post a Comment