Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Raineedayze Reads: This is Where it Ends


Hey ya'll!

I went on a pretty crazy book shopping spree this past weekend and I have been dying to start working my way through the pile. The first one I finished? This is Where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp!





This is Where it Ends tells the story of a school shooting using 4 different students as the narrators and goes through each minute of the terrifying ordeal. The book uses a mixture of tweets, text messages, and blog posts to also give some insight to other students and the surrounding community who has now been rocked by the tragedy.

Reading this book broke my heart. Many of the characters have strong relationships with their siblings and just imagining something like this happening to my siblings really freaked me out. Also, the community was very reminiscent of the town I grew up in, which reminded me of how easy it is for something like that to happen.

One thing I loved about this book was amount of details that the reader was privy to. I feel many people may think there were a lot of questions left unanswered, but I think the lack of details really helped bring me back to high school. I think sometimes books have details about character's lives that no one could possibly know and so by having the four narrators, it made the story more real. The truth is, most high school students know each other, only in passing, and when disaster hits, the students have to make extremely fast decisions and be there for each other to survive. 

Obviously, this book can be very upsetting for some readers so approach with caution, but I have to say, this book was great. My tears would agree.

Overall Review: 4/5

Have you read this book? What are your thoughts? Let's chat in the comments or tweet me @raineedayze!

Follow me on Goodreads here!

Always, Raineedayze

No comments:

Post a Comment