Monday, April 15, 2019

Top 5(ish) Geek-Centric Reads


One of my absolute favorite genres to read is books about being a geek. Whether it's a book following a geeky main character, or a book about living life in the best nerdy way, I am a huge sucker for books that I can relate to. 

So I decided to share some of my favorite geeky reads with you guys! Maybe you've read these, and maybe you will find a new favorite book!

In no particular order

Geekerella by Ashley Poston/The Princess and the Fangirl

Was there any question that I wouldn't add these two to the list? They are two of my favorite geekcentric books and if you haven't read them, put down this computer and pick them up!

I have reviews of both these books on this site, but in short Geekerella is a Cinderella re-telling with a geeky twist. Starfield (think Star Trek) fangirl Elle is a nerd blogger who's subject is usually recapping Starfield episodes. When it's revealed that a new Starfield movie is coming out and a mainstream teen heartthrob is in the lead role, Elle is furious. Insert nerd rage hijinks and a convention ball while Elle tries to stop the movie from happening.

This book is cute and sweet with so much nerdy goodness thrown in. If you like fairy tales and Star Trek, I highly recommend.

The Princess and the Fangirl is a sequel to Geekerella and is a Princess and the Pauper retelling. Imogene is a huge Starfield fan and just so happens to look like the main actress in the film, Jessica Stone. What happens when they switch places and have to fit in as each other? Not to mention the fact that Jessica hates Starfield for an unknown reason and wants to be killed off and Imogene is running the campaign to save Jessica's character. 

Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black and Cecil Castellucci


This is probably my favorite book on this list. In this book is a collection of short nerdy stories by multiple authors including David Levithan, Holly  Black, Cassandra Clare, John Green, and so many more. What happens if a Klingon and a Jedi fall in love? Or read about best friends who love the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Like Buffy, space, or debate team? This book has it all.

My favorite story in this book is probably One of Us by Tracy Lynn about a girl who wants to learn to be a geek and it's just....really good. Just yes.

The Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love by Sarvanez Tash


This is one of the more recent reads for me but it's super adorable and takes place over NYCC weekend. This book follows a guy named Graham as he comes up with a plan to tell his best friend Roxy he is in love with her at NYCC. A plan that includes their favorite comic creator, a lot of courage, and a hell of a lot of hope.

This book was described as John Hughes meets Comic Con and I can definitely vouch for it. It's super cute and there's just so much geeky references and geek love in this book. 

The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy by Sam Maggs 


If you don't read any of these books but one, this is the one you should definitely pick up. This is one of the most mainstream reads on this list and it's written in the format of a guide to fandoms, conventions, websites, and more. I love this book so much I even have this signed poster of the cover! 

The Secret Loves of Geek Girls by Various Authors

When I first read this book, it was very different from what I thought it was going to be but I ended up adoring it. This book follows multiple authors as they tell the story of a love of theirs. There is a ton of wlw content in this book and it's essentially a love letter to their younger selves. I definitely loved this book, so much that I gifted a copy to one of my closest friends last year.

Notable Mentions
  • Game Over by Jonathan Green
Horror anthology with all the stories based on classic games like Frogger, Donkey Kong, and Rampage 
  • Wolf Boy by Evan Kuhlman
Follows a kid who is dealing with his family life after a tragedy by creating a comic book series.



I hope you enjoyed this list! What are some of your favorite geeky themed books? Let's chat about it!






Always, Raineedayze




















No comments:

Post a Comment